A leftist, secular-progressive organization. It was run for its first 30 years by an American named Roger Baldwin, who helped found it in 1920. Baldwin supported communism, but later denounced it in his book, A New Slavery, which condemned “the inhuman communist police state tyranny”. This organization pursues a leftist agenda that includes censoring prayer and recognition of God in public institutions, such as public schools. Currently, Anthony Romero is the first openly gay CEO to run the organization. Declassified documents and letters link early ACLU leaders with Communist Party. Helen Chaffee Biehle also indicated in her article “Focus: The Seduction of the American Public Library” that the ACLU was also nihilistic and individualistic in its philosophy since its founding.
The ACLU was founded in the 1920s by Roger Baldwin and Crystal Eastman, described as a “progressive” and “the perfect feminist.”
Earl Browder was general secretary of the Communist Party of the United States from 1930 through its dissolution in 1944. When the party was reconstituted as the Communist Political Association later that year, Browder was chosen as its president. Browder proudly proclaimed that the ACLU functioned as “a transmission belt” for the party. To deny the ACLU’s founding was attached at the hip to communist organizations is to deny what can easily be proven as truth.
Under threat of being listed by the Dies committee as a Communist front in the wake of the Nazi-Soviet pact, the ACLU purged open members of the Communist Party from its board of directors in 1940, although its continued front activity caused a joint fact-finding committee of the California Legislature to report in 1943:
“The American Civil Liberties Union may be definitely classed as a Communist front or ‘transmission belt’ organization.”
One member purged from the board was former Wobbly Elizabeth Gurley Flynn, a CPUSA member. Flynn went on to become national chairman of the Communist Party. Upon her death in Moscow in 1964, the Soviet Union gave her a full-scale state funeral in Red Square. In 1976, the ACLU posthumously “reinstated” her on its board of directors.
Among the NCLB’s early high-profile cases include its defense of the Rand School of Social Science.
For the past few decades, the ACLU has been on a major crusade to destroy Christianity in America, promote filth under “freedom of speech and expression,” and of course, vigorously defend the homosexual culture of death. On Jan. 10, 1963, Congressman Albert S. Herlong Jr., D-Fla., read a list of 45 communist goals into the Congressional Record. Below are the communist goals being implemented by the ACLU in their quest to destroy America’s culture and traditions:
- Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions, by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
- Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
- Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all form of artistic expression. An American communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings,” substituting shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.
- Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
- Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
- Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio and television.
- Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural and healthy.”
- Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity, which does not need a “religious crutch.”
- Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the grounds that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
- Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of “the big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the communists took over. Obliterating the American past, with its antecedents in principles of freedom, liberty and private ownership is a major goal of the communists then and now.
- Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture – education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
- Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
Anyone who has been following the destructive path of the ACLU can easily see how effective these communist goals have been implemented to “promote democracy” and protect your “civil rights.” Lenin stated: “Communism alone is capable of providing really complete democracy.” (See Tucker, “The Lenin Anthology”). James Madison, known as the “Father of the Constitution” had something different to say about a democracy:
Democracy is the most vile form of government … democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention, have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property, and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths.
Perhaps it’s time to recognize the ACLU as the American Communist Lawyers Union instead of their disingenuous “civil rights” stage name.
No organization can exist without memberships and funding. It is inconceivable to me how anyone who claims to be a Christian, lawyer or layman, could belong to such an anti-American organization as the ACLU. Burn your card and get out. Organizations like Working Assets, tobacco companies and big corporations all donate to the ACLU, which in turn uses that money to buy the favors of those who serve in Congress – who vote to unconstitutionally fund the activities of the ACLU under the Civil Rights Attorney’s Fees Awards Act of 1976.
If Americans really want to put the ACLU out of business, remove yourself as a member of their organization, boycott companies that donate to them and demand these public servants in Congress repeal the unconstitutional funding of this subversive organization. There is no justification under Art. 1, Sec. 8, to steal from the people’s treasury to give money to the ACLU or any other organization for “civil rights” lawsuits.
Read more about the ACLU at Conservapedia
- Infowars: Follow the Money. ACLU Protests Exposed
- ACLU’s War on Christmas
- Freedom Watch’s War on the ACLU
Chronological History of Events Involving the ACLU
Report: ‘Nonpartisan’ Group Aiding Lawyers for ‘Whistleblower’ Tied to Democrats, Far-Left Organizations